Stuart Ayres MP, Member for Penrith today announced that the Blue Mountains community will benefit from an upgrade to Lapstone Station which will provide safer and more modern access for customers using the station and create over 450 jobs during the project.
Stuart Ayres said the upgrade is now underway after a construction contract was awarded to Arenco.
The work is part of the NSW Government’s Transport Access Program, an initiative to deliver safe, modern and accessible public transport infrastructure.
“This is an important upgrade which will make access to Lapstone Station and public transport easier for all customers, especially people with a disability and limited mobility, as well as parents and carers with prams,” Stuart Ayres said.
“It will also ensure the station has the amenities to support growth in public transport well into the future. The upgrade is expected to be completed in late 2021.
“The project will create work for over 450 on-site workers as well as additional office staff over 17 months of the project,” Stuart Ayres said.
Lapstone Station upgrade will include:
- a new lift connecting the footbridge to Platform 2
- a new family accessible toilet as well as male and female ambulant toilets
- upgrades to the accessible car spaces and a new Kiss and Ride bay
- upgrades to the ramp from the commuter car park to the pedestrian footbridge
- a new station entrance to Platform 1
- accessibility upgrades to the platform waiting room
- upgrades to station’s pathways, stairs and platforms
- upgrades to CCTV, lighting and signage.
“The NSW Government made the commitment to upgrade Lapstone Station and we are delivering it,” added Stuart Ayres.
Accessibility upgrades that have been completed in the Blue Mountains include: Glenbrook, Hazelbrook, Springwood, Blaxland, Leura and Wentworth Falls stations. Work is currently underway at Faulconbridge Station, and in planning at Blackheath Station.
The Transport Access Program has more than 470 projects either completed or underway across NSW as part of this important NSW Government initiative to provide access to public transport for everyone.
To find out more about the Lapstone project visit www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/lapstone-station-upgrade.