Western Sydney patients got a chance to see the new 14-storey Nepean Hospital clinical services tower, the centerpiece of Stage 1 of the $1 billion redevelopment.
Member for Penrith Stuart Ayres and Member for Mulgoa Tanya Davies, unveiled the new patient-centred design set to transform patient care.
Mr Ayres said the redevelopment will see a major expansion and upgrade of hospital and community-based health services for Nepean and surrounding communities.
“Stage 1 will include a new and expanded emergency department, an almost doubling of birthing suites and a massive expansion of cancer services,” Mr Ayres said.
Mrs Davies said the expansion of the cancer centre and construction of the multi-storey car park, which will add 500 extra car spaces, is already underway.
“Cancer patients will benefit from a doubling in chemotherapy chairs from 15 to 30, bringing treatment closer to home for some of our most vulnerable patients,” Mrs Davies said.
Mr Hazzard said the NSW Liberals & Nationals Government is delivering world-class health care facilities right across NSW as part of a record $8 billion health infrastructure boom over the next four years.
“This significant $1 billion Nepean Hospital redevelopment is one of the largest investments in health infrastructure in the state and will transform care for local patients,” Mr Hazzard said.
It follows the recent $2.4 million revamp of Nepean Hospital’s emergency department and a $139 million expansion completed in February 2014.
Stage 1 of the Nepean Redevelopment includes:
- A new clinical services tower
- A new and expanded Emergency Department
- More than 12 new operating theatres
- 18 birthing suites in new accommodation, an increase of 10
- A new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- More than 200 overnight beds in new accommodation
- A new helipad
- New community health services
- Expansion of cancer services (a doubling of chemotherapy chairs to 30)
- A new $26 million multi-storey car park that will add an additional 500 car spaces to the campus.
Along with the work underway here at Nepean, key projects underway in Western Sydney include:
- The $700 million redevelopment of Blacktown and Mount Druitt Hospitals
- Almost $1 billion Westmead Hospital precinct redevelopment, which includes The Children’s Hospital.
- $632 million Campbelltown Hospital redevelopment
- $740 million Liverpool health, research and education precinct
- $91.5 million NSW Forensic Pathology and Coroner’s Court at Lidcombe.
Construction of the new hospital tower will start in early 2019 and is scheduled for completion in 2021.